Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Threatening E-mails

You know, I love to receive e-mails. Even if they are just forwarded from someone, with no special note to me attached, I'm ok with that. Its like receiving a card in the mail. There may not be a long letter with it, but it shows that the sender was thinking of you, and that makes me feel special!
What I don't care for are the threatening e-mails. You know the ones. They start off all sweetness and light, Jesus loves you, I love you, may God bless you and keep you...... Then at the bottom, is THAT line "send this to 10 people in 10 minutes, and something good will happen to you at 10:00......send to only 5 people and in 5 weeks something good will happen" or "send this to 10 people in 10 minutes and you will have good luck for 1 year. Don't send this and you will have bad luck...."

First off, I don't need to be reminded that I do not have 10 friends who will let me have there e-mail address. I mean, how unfair is that? Just go ahead and poke your finger in my face and point out to me that I am unpopular! THANKS!!

Secondly, does God's love really hinge on whether or not I forward an e-mail? How does he know? Is he really monitoring my e-mails? I think not! And if I'm not Catholic, do I automatically get condemned to hell, if I don't make a wish and say the blessing for Saint Somebody?

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely respect (everytime I spell that, I hear Aretha!) others beliefs. But to threaten me to spread the word of God, I just object! I received an e-mail a while ago that was supposedly quoting the Rev. Billy Grahams daughter, that said basically, because we no longer have prayer in public schools, or the Ten Commandments posted in a public park, that God allowed September 11th to happen as punishment for our wicked ways...... How can someone of faith suggest such a thing? And how could someone say that God is watching me to see if I forward an e-mail to determine which misfortunes will happen?

I believe in God. That he loves me no matter what, and just to prove it, I won't be pushed around and intimidated into forwarding threatening e-mails anymore. Its a shame really, because there are some nice sentiments in some of these e-mails. But I only know 4 people, and each of them sent the e-mails to me anyway, so....... nevermind........

1 Comments:

Blogger D. D. said...

Actually, the most profound this I have seen in weeks, is the fact that you use Aretha Franklin to spell RESPECT. I, on the other hand, am stuck with Jiminey Criket in my head every time I have to spell encyclopedia......

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home