Friday, February 17, 2006

Brittle Cold!!!!

I live in the Midwest. Anyone who has watched there news over the last couple days knows that there is a "Polar Plunge" blanketing this part of the country. Yes, a HUGE storm just cut a swath of snow across this part of the country. We were fortunate where I am at that we did not get a lot of snow here, but we could not avoid the cold that followed it. The temperatures outside is 9 degrees. Cold, in and of itself. But when you factor in the windchill, it feels like 129 degrees below zero. That does not call for a Nose Bubble Alert, at those temps, it is a full on Nose Bubble Warning!

I am 41. (just don't ask me how much I weigh!). I grew up in a time that when it is as cold as the above, your car will not start, power would fail, and people had to keep warm huddled around the only gas appliance in the house, the stove. I know cold. So I make my kids bundle up before they go outside. Hats, scarves, boots, the whole nine yards. I get a like, major eye roll, whatever, from my teenagers, and the 2 smaller ones want to wear snowpants because there is a quarter inch of snow on the ground that they might get to play in at school. (that they won't have recess at those temps, they don't know yet, but hey! They're warm!).

So it is with great dismay that I drop my daughter off at the high school and I see kids walking into the school wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and flip flops. Flip flops. And the most shocking part of this is that these kids just exited Mom and Dads car dressed that way. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!? HOW COULD THEY LET THERE KIDS OUT OF THE HOUSE DRESSED THAT WAY, LET ALONE, OUT OF THEIR CAR?! I don't get it. What are they teaching these kids by allowing this? What personality trait are they hoping to encourage by this? Do they believe the stories about global warming to such an extent that they are not at risk for frostbite at these temp? Will these parents feel that they did right by there children supporting their sense of individuality as the kids toes and fingers are being amputated from frostbite? When there daughter get made fun off by seventh graders because she doesn't have a nose, and kindergarteners run from there son because he has no ears, will they feel good that they let there child make his own choices?

I tell my daughter that these people make me crazy, and I spy a girl walking in to the school in a tank top and a skirt, I say that I hope there is a fire drill and these kids have to stand out side, so they can see how stupid they are! She thinks about it a minute, and says,"But Mom, my coat will be in my locker, so I won't have one either, and I will be cold, too."

Damn.

Don't bother me with details! And wear your coat to class!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home