Friday, February 03, 2006

My Identity

As you see, my name is Momcani. Why? Because that is all I ever hear from my kids. That is simple enough. When I go home for the day, and put my key in the door, on the other side of the door, I hear the words "mom-can-I....." before I even have the door opened. It is not as tender as Mommy, or as perfunctory as Mom, but it serves me. To be honest, I lost me identity 18 years ago.
I used to be somebody with a name not a designation or a job. Since my daughter was born, I introduce my self as Emma's Mom, or with the boys now, David, Dougie, or Angus's Mom. (I don't want to hear it! These are not your kids, I will name them what I want!). I'm not upset about it. That is what I wanted to be from childhood, a Mom. What greater job could there be?

The only problem is that I don't know how to introduce myself with out saying my name is Momcani, Emma's Mom. As most of my adult contact is with other parents, this isn't a big problem. But when I met people who are not parents of my kids friends, I forget how to do it. I become so very twentysomething, and only give them my first name, like I'm afraid that they might steal my identity if I tell them my last name. Now to all of you twentysomethings, I'm not saying that your paranoid, or more careful then my generation, but we were raised to introduce ourselves a particular way, so I always feel awkward when I do it and do not give my full name. As if I'm saying "Stalker! I don't trust you!".

My children have the same problem as to them I am Momcani, not my real name. My husband is "honey" according to my youngest because that is what I call him. (unless he is in trouble, then I call him "HONEY!!!"). (My husband, not my youngest!).

Anyway, this post, in my mind, was going to be so much more clever, but basically, no, not so much. There seems to be a lot of that going around today. Anyway, that is why I call myself Momcani. Sorry, I'll try to do better next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home