Tuesday, August 29, 2006

So What's Your Dream Job?

A friend of mine was saying that his dream job was to paddle a canoe down the river (I don't know which one), and identify dead trees. That to him, was heaven. I of course countered that my own dream job was to be the bread stick lady at Fazoli's. Distributing happiness in a basket, is to me, better than a Walmart greeter. That is because, I am at that age that I resent having to work, and that I didn't marry for money.I remember my Mom at this age. She was a bartender, because, well, she was trained for nothing else. She was talked into working under the table and now at the age of 69, I have mixed emotions about my Dad dying. On the one hand, my children will never know him (not necessarily a bad thing, save it for another blog), but on the other hand, my Mom now get $500 dollars more a month because he died. That is because she grew up in the generation that the Mom stayed at home and took care of the house and kids. We were the average 60's-70's family. We got 3 new outfits for each new school year, we all dressed alike at Easter, just a different hat and shoes, and we were stair step in height. I had no aspiration after high school except to get married and have kids and be a Mom.

That doesn't mean that I did not believe in equal rights, I did. One of the point of the equal rights movement was the right to choose. I have always been secure in my abilities. I have nothing to prove. I can't fight thousands of years of evolution with one stand, so I accept that there will be individuals that will think less of my abilities, by virtue of my sex. I can only lead by example. I can raise my daughter to know that there is no limits, but the road will be hard, I can raise my sons to know that their sex does not insure that they will succeed. They will fail or succeed on there own merits. Their sister, well, she may be judged by her sex, but her reputation is not what matter, rather her character is what is important. As long as all of my children are true to themselves, no one can make them feel inferior.

So, I told my kids that at this bitter and tired stage in my life, handing out bread sticks doesn't seem like a bad job at all. They of course laughed at me, saying that I wouldn't be able to just hand out the bread sticks, that I would ask," Did you finish your sandwich? No? Well, I'm not gonna give you a breadstick to waste. You have to finish your meal, before you can have another!" They're righ,t of course. I am all about power. So I started thinking: If money, time, training were no object, what would I want to do?Think about that. If there was nothing standing in your way, what would you be?

I think I would have to say, that I would be a coordinator. I would like to take my experience of getting kids dressed, lunches made, deadlines met, working a job and a half, and channel that into something creative. Not necessarily a manager, more like a supervisor. Remember I'm at the lazy stage, you know, tired? I would love to be a supervisor of a play, or a fund raiser, or even a editor of a publication, anything, that had a deadline. I like to have a line drawn in the sand. While I can definitely boss people around, and I'm creative, I'm creative in the moment. I don't think I could do it for the long haul, but I could help someone else get there. I'm attentive, and if its doable, I can do it.

I know that that's not an actual "job" but I think I'm an untapped resource. I have a clear vision. I can see down the road, and if I see that it isn't gonna happen, I will say so. But I also like to fight for the underdog, so I won't give up. Maybe charity work, not the glory work, but the behind the sense work is where I should be. I never expect anything. I do what is the right thing to do. Which is why I have the job I have. Kids gotta eat. And if that means I work a job and a half, doing something that chose me, then that's what I do.So what would your dream job be? If you could do anything, no obstacles, what would you do?

2 Comments:

Blogger sydwynd said...

The first thing they teach you in "supervisor school" is that your goal should be to have nothing to do. The second thing they teach you is to delegate tasks. That's why I love my job. I get the people that work for me do actuall DO my work for me!

If money were no object with me, I would be in the music business. I would own a studio and create my own music as well as produce other's music. I might even get into getting new bands noticed and signed.

Duh, huh?

9:15 AM  
Blogger Momcani said...

Supervior school sounds very similar to Advanced Placement Parenthood. (Dealing with 2 teenagers at once). According to my eldest boy, I haven't done anything around this house since 1998, November, I believe. My daughter told me once that all I do around the house is straighten the couch cover. She was sorry after that weekend!

Yeah, those were good times....

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home