Friday, September 01, 2006

Religion and Politics

As I am sure is happening across the country, a well liked incumbent and a new challenger are running for senate here in Nebraska. The incumbent has been a governor as well as a senator and his appeal crosses party lines as he has always put the state first. The challenger, started his own company, made a success of it, and now want to take what he learned/knows and apply it to politics.

For the record, I do not like the challenger. There is something in his manner that seems, too polished. While the incumbent has been a politician for a long time, he still comes across as approachable. The other guy seem phony.

Yes, I know! What are the issues? Where do they stand? I am judging the challenger based on an impression? You're right! We do deserve what we get here! But I just got a call from a survey company, who, at the end of the questions, said that the survey was paid for people who support the challenger, and you know, it wasn't that he asked them, I would have felt the same had either asked, but that he did ask them, well I don't care for the implication.

The questions start off, what is the most important issue facing Nebraskans today? Taxes, immigration, couple other things, no big surprise, I said taxes. We here in Nebraska are concerned mainly with 3 things: the weather, football and taxes, and not necessarily in that order. I believe that a majority of the people from this state would call us"The Tax Me State." We are forever fighting for relief. If we get a break from the county, the state comes in and ups the liability. I owed more to the state than I did to the feds on my taxes this year. But hey! I don't have to pay taxes on groceries! Yet.

The questioned continued, would I support a plan for securing our borders? Yes. If the election were held today, who would I vote for? The incumbent for the senate, the challenger for governor. What is my opinion of the OTHER senator from Nebraska, Senator Hagel? He's ok, but I don't always agree with him. Am I pro-life, or pro-choice? Pro-choice. Would I support an amendment to the constitution stating that marriage should be between and man and a woman only? No. Do I attend church regularly? No.

That was the question that got me. I didn't like it. I know most of the views of both the men running. To be fair, Nebraska is a Republican state, and has conservative values. A lot of people in this state would agree with some of my answers above. But I was struck by the question. It seemed to imply that if I didn't agree with what the challenger believed, that it was because I don't go to church! I am Godless and that is the reason that I want women to have abortions, and to let gays marry! I don't have a strong religious foundation because I don't attend church!

Am I wrong that that question seems inappropriate? I can hear the adds now, ..."Most people who support Senator Ben Nelson are for gay marriage, abortions and don't attend church regularly....." Wow! Sorry, but that seems so slimey!

This is probably why I pick my politicians based on my impressions. That he would ask the question, just lets me know that my impression was right.

1 Comments:

Blogger sydwynd said...

I would agree that whether or not you attend church on a regular basis has nothing to do with the issues of the day. I hate the whole injection of religion into politics. Beyond how it affects your personal moral values, whether or not your a Christian (which is what we're really talking about here) doesn't mean a thing.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home