Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Another Call

I don't know if my number has always been popular with these survey companies, as I didn't work at home before, but I got another call today. This is mt third in a week. This one equally distressing.

Caller: May I speak to the lady of the house?

Me: This is.

Caller: Hi! My name is (insert something Perky sounding here). I'm not trying to sell you anything, or get you to try a new product, I would just like to ask you some questions regarding the radio station that you listen to.

Now, I know a lot of you would have hung up. But, I'm ashamed to say it, I once was a telemarketer. I only did inbound and surveys, I swear! I work for Gallup at one time. You know Gallup, as in Gallup poll? They're respectable, right? ALRIGHT! Once I sold season tickets for the local triple A baseball team, but that was just calling established customers, not cold calling. I've been where this girl is. Telemarketer, or drive thru girl at a fast food restaurant. These jobs are the ones you take when you are desperate, and have hit rock bottom. Do you think that they want to do this? HECK NO! These are people that are on the edge. I always try to be kind, at least not rude. There but for the grace of God.......

So we continue.

Caller: What is your age?

Me: (I hesitate. Not because I'm ashamed of my age, no, I've earned every year, but because I can't remember right away). Uhhhh, 42.

Caller: Are there any other females in the house hold under that age?

Me: Yes.

Caller: Is she available?

Me: No.

Caller: When would be a good time to reach her?

Me: You don't want to ask me?

Caller: No Ma'am, we are interested in the listening habits of younger people.

Me: Did you just call me Ma'am?

Caller: Yes, so when would be a better time to reach the other female?

Me: NEVER! AND DON'T EVER CALL MY HOUSE AGAIN! LIKE I HAVE TIME FOR THIS! DAMN TELEMARKETERS!!

caller: Telemarketers try to sell things, I'm just interested....

Me: Yeah! I heard, just because I'm old doesn't mean I'm stupid, or forgetful! Now listen, what was your name again?

Caller: (insert perky name here)

Me: Yeah, well (insert perky name here, that ah,hah! I did forget, but stupid girl, she didn't catch it), don't ever call my house again. Like, because I'm 42 my opinion doesn't matter!

Caller: But ma'am, we are interested only in a particular demograph......

I slammed the phone down. Not really, I just pushed the talk button, but in my heart, I was slamming it!

Ma'am!


I gotta stop answering the phone. Its very upsetting.

1 Comments:

Blogger sydwynd said...

Two words my friend: Caller ID.

Ever since getting it, I never talk to telemarketers, survey people, the Red Cross, nobody. Either I get the name of who's calling and know it's a telemarketer, or it says Unknown, and I never answer a call if I don't know who's calling.

Definately worth whatever it is I'm paying for it.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home